How to care for our hemp collars, leashes, and harnesses
It’s super easy to wash See Scout Sleep collars, leashes, and harnesses. All you have to do is put the product in the delicate or hand wash cycle, and lay it out to air dry (don’t heat dry!). It’s important that you use a wash bag to protect the product’s hardware during the washing cycle.
The products can also be soaked in warm water with mild soap or oxygenated cleanser for about 15 minutes. Any remaining tarnishes can be spot cleaned using a baking soda and vinegar mixture.
How to care for our leather collars
Our leather collars and leashes should be treated just like your favorite leather purse or pair of shoes. Our leather has a natural greasiness that gives it gorgeous shine, and protects against external elements like rain, snow, and sun. But if the leather is exposed regularly to these elements, it can get dry, stiff, or crack. To prevent this from happening, you should keep the following in mind:
- If the leather becomes wet, let it dry at room temperature.
- Make sure that the leather does not get too wet or too dry.
- Stains can be spot cleaned with a cloth.
- Never keep our leather items in hot or damp areas for a long period of time. Instead, keep them stored in a plastic bag or cover them in plastic.
- Avoid exposing leather to direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time.
- Avoid extreme temperatures, dryness and heat, as sunlight will dry out leather.
- All leather can last longer if it is regularly maintained and treated with love.
In sum, if your leather collar is losing its shine, clean it first with a damp cloth, then polish dry. The leather can then be cleaned with a neutral polishing cream. Let it dry overnight. Never use alcohol, cleaning solvents, oils, or varnishes or polishes as this may irrevocably damage the leather.
Horsehair brushes are perfect for cleaning and restoring leather items to its original look. Use the brush to remove sand trapped in the stitching, and between the leather and the buckle.
How to care for our hardware
We use solid brass snap hooks, D rings, and buckles. These components can all be cleaned with a brass cleaner found at your local hardware or grocery store. Simply polish these components as per the instructions on the bottle and watch your hardware come back to life.